To celebrate Down syndrome (Trisomy 21) awareness this month I will have 31 entries for October (they just won't necessarily come on 31 different days). I've decided to share each day something I have learned in the last 9 months as a result of Eisley being blessed with an extra chromosome. For the DS Mommas out there, some may be old news, but stuff I feel the need to share with the rest of the family. Feel free to add more, we are new to this gig and always learning. Some things may not really have anything to do with Down syndrome, but I may not have made the connection without that essential link. Also if you have questions about Down syndrome or even Eisley and our family, please ask. So here goes...
Since I am a nurse I did know a few things about Down syndrome, but school was a long time ago and it's not something that I commonly work with. Sean had some background knowledge of it as well with his psychology background. Here are just a few factoids from the ODSPN website that we weren't fully aware of:
- Down syndrome is a chromosomal disorder, which usually causes delays in physical and cognitive development. It is the result of an infant's cells containing 47 rather than 46 chromosomes. Ok, we had this one, but it's hard to start without a basic building block.
- Down syndrome is one of the most common causes of birth defects and developmental disabilities. It occurs approximately once in every 733 births.
- Individuals with Down syndrome can have special medical problems. The most common are heart defects, hearing loss, vision impairment, upper respiratory infections, intestinal and thyroid problems. I did remember the heart issues, but not the rest.
- Down syndrome is not related to race, nationality, religion or economic status. People with Down syndrome carry more traits of their birth family than the traits of Down syndrome.
- While age of the mother can be a factor, 80% of children with Down syndrome are born to parents under the age of 35.
| Just a little pick me up |
1 comment:
That is such a sweet picture! Really has me looking forward to that calendar. :)
Post a Comment