Thursday, October 21, 2010

Day 21 - Make New Friends

I have learned that the Down syndrome community is one like I have never experienced before.  Once the news spread that Eisley had Down syndrome many people had connections for us, someone's cousin's brother's friend.  They really were trying to help, but at that point Little E had many other things on her plate more pressing than an extra chromosome.  After things calmed down a bit I searched out the Omaha Down Syndrome Parents Network and requested some information.  It started with the first phone call from Mary, our local chapter's president.  She left a message welcoming us, the usual, call with questions etc.  And then Mary called back a couple weeks later.  She wanted to chat, know more about us and also shared about her son, Daniel, and their experience.

Our local group has been nothing short of amazing.  There are always activities and gatherings going on; education sessions for parents and grandparents and siblings.  The support has been wonderful and we are so thankful to have made so many new friends; even better that they understand what we are going through.  I look forward to my monthly coffee with the DS Super Moms.

Recently someone asked how I knew a particular friend on Facebook.  When I replied that her son has Down syndrome, they were surprised that would be enough of a connection.  Although I surely don't know everyone in the metro who has a child with DS, it is like an instant bond.  We walk similar paths, unknown to many and have similar interests and goals in advocating for our children.  Our kids are part of an elite club - only 1 out of 733 get to join.

Since we haven't had any pics recently, I'll share some of Eisley's prep work for the Buddy Walk.  She handpainted all of the kids shirts!

You want me to do what with this paint and those shirts?

So this isn't how the painting is supposed to work? 
Don't I get a mandatory break time?  Ever hear of child labor laws?

Finally my work is complete!

No comments: