Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Day 19 - Massage: It Does the Body Good

It didn't take having a baby with Down syndrome to teach me that massage is a good thing!  In fact, I pleaded with my OB to let me go home and attend my scheduled massage rather than going straight to the hospital.  And just like Baby Sign Language was not a new concept, neither was infant massage. 

This time though, I caught on to a few more of the benefits - like it helps normalize muscle tone or provides tactile stimulation.  There are some research studies being conducted to provide further evidence of the benefits of massage for babes with Down syndrome. 

It was just what they list - quiet intimate time and relaxing.  And I'd like to think it also helped with the others like midline orientation, circulation, immune system function and sensory awareness.  I was missing out on the intimacy of nursing with Eisley and this was a great substitute for us.  Even after heart surgery, she knew her Mama's touch rubbing her legs and feet.

Now just to convince my hubby how important it is for mommy's to have a massage too!

No comments: