Unless you have reason to seek out the NICU, it is just quietly tucked away in the middle of the campus and you just pass it by (I had to give my coworkers directions on how to find us). What happens behind those doors is nothing short of amazing. The staff live up to the motto "Serious Medicine, Extraordinary Care" every day.
The nurses not only took care of our precious baby, but cared for our family as well. Often asking if I had eaten lunch and making sure we got home to rest. No one cared how often we called or what hours. They listened and encouraged the whole way. When we weren't there to see a first, like a stroller ride at 2am or finishing off a whole bottle in the wee morning hours, the nurse (we secretly called Grandma Liz) took pictures.
The front desk staff was great about screening visitors. No matter who came to visit, the staff called to see if it was ok. Some may have been offended by this, but we did what we felt was best for our family. The kids could visit whenever we wanted to bring them and even hold Eisley.
| Once he got ahold of his sis, T didn't want to let go! |
I suppose I shouldn't give the nurses all the glory (although I have to make up for shows like Gray's Anatomy, where they get none!). Dr Anderson is a remarkable physician. Her compassion for the babes radiates around her. We were blessed to have her on service for most of Eisley's stay. As a mom herself, she brings a different perspective to the table - open, honest, upfront about the situation, but the extra TLC gene that most men are lacking. Dr Bolam is the sweet grandfatherly type that listened as I shed tears of disappointment and frustration and reassured me he would help get us home.
So many others played a part as well. We didn't know the echo techs, but they knew Eisley well. The chaplain, Heather and I had some great chats. The lactation consultants. Respiratory therapy. The nurse practitioners. The other families who talked and cried and laughed and prayed with us.
The room had a locker to keep belongings in, so we didn't have to tote stuff back and forth - a hoodie, pump supplies, snacks, a book. Another perk was room service. Since I was providing breastmilk for Eisley, I got to order food to be delivered to the front desk. The family room was a place to escape the alarms, eat, watch kids play and chat with other parents. Once I was up to it, Abby, from March of Dimes, had activities going on like scrapbooking and a Valentine's Party.
Even now, as I am out and about, I run into someone from the NICU. It's a bit like finding an old friend, I ask about their kids and they ask about mine - all of them. The NICU is a miraculous little part of the hospital and I am thrilled we got introduced to it.
I've always thought that when I retired I'd like to volunteer and rock babies...
1 comment:
How wonderful of you to recognize everyone who helped Eisley get to where she is today! I know you've mentioned many of them before, but just to hear their names and the roles they play makes it extra-special. :)
Post a Comment