Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tuesday's Tests

Our preparation for the day started last night.  Eisley was to arrive at the hospital ready to sleep, so we kept her up late.  When her precious eyelids could no longer be propped open at 10:45pm she finally got tucked in bed.  Then it was up and at 'em early - for her 6:30am.  Yep, our girl likes her night time sleep, it's usually 8:30-8am and that's when we wake her up to start the feedings.  Once we finally roused her, Eisley was a happy girl - we were having so much fun playing I lost track of time and was nearly late getting to the hospital.  Of course she fell asleep in the car and slept all the way there.


We gotta do what?  I'm sooo tired
 The EEG lab is located in the new building, so we got to check that out.  Lots of fun bright colors and decorations done by kids.  After carefully measuring and marking all over Eisley's head the tech got out the bundle of wires - Eisley's eyes just lit up.  She tried and tried but only snagged a couple, the gal working was pretty savy. 
Gelling and taping down all the probes
Mummy style head wear

Just one, I just want one of those!

All done!
The goal of the EEG is to track Eisley's brain waves - to determine what is going on with the tremors and hopefully rule out any seizure activity.  It's best to get readings while sleeping, so into the rocking chair we went.  She tossed and turned and waved and talked and growled and coughed and kicked and giggled and squirmed and 45 minutes later her little eyes FINALLY closed.  That girl is stubborn! 

After gently removing all the carefully placed wires and an attempt at washing all the goo out of E's beautiful tresses, we were off.  To the outpatient surgery area we went, right where we checked in nearly 5 months ago for heart surgery.  Following the typical 20 questions, Daddy appeared and got to play too.  Eisley had to show off her sitting, rolling and general cuteness skills for the nurses.
When I first heard about the need for an MRI, including general anesthesia to complete it, I was worried.  Although, generally safe, anesthesia is not without risk.  And have you read the beginning of Little E's story - this girl has done the unexpected quite a few times.  I gave the burden weighing heavily on my heart up to God and felt so much better for it.  It ended up the case ahead of us did not show up, so the staff scurried to ask 20 more questions and off our princess went.

Sean and I enjoyed a long lunch with plenty of time to just talk and relax - as well as one can in a hospital cafeteria.  After spending days on end at the hospital, I had a bag packed and planned to get some things done while waiting.  Before I knew it, my girl was back in my arms - a sleeping beauty.  She didn't even look pale and pasty, just sound asleep.

Miss Eisley woke up happy and playful, got some fluids in her belly and we were homeward bound. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad everything went smoothly for you -- can't wait to hear the results!