Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tulips

Some days I still struggle with the diagnosis of Down syndrome.  What it means for the future, what it means for each of my children, what it means for us, as parents.  At Eisley's birth there were so many things going on that the diagnosis of Down syndrome got lost in all of the more acute medical issues.  Now that we are past heart surgery and recovery and on our way to eating, I can work on processing what's next. 

Through reading Gifts and Gifts II, browsing Ds Mama blogs and chatting with our local Ds moms you gain a lot of different perspectives.  Over and over I see many people not wanting to change anything about their child having Down syndrome.  I'm not sure I'm there yet.  Don't misunderstand, there are many things Eisley has brought to our lives that we would have otherwise missed out on...but I'm just not there quite yet.

Today a coworker told me about her daughter, Kim, who's latest ultrasound showed some markers of Down syndrome.  She's early in her pregnancy and had some further labwork done (quad screen?).  Kim did say she didn't know why they did it because it wouldn't change anything for her.  But docs feel the need to run their tests and provide you with "informed consent."

I was almost at a loss for what to say.  I couldn't really say, "I'm sorry your grandchild might have Down syndrome."  It's not true.  I finally came up with, "No matter what, it will be ok."  As I thought, I realized it may not be exactly how you pictured things, but it is a whole new journey that takes you places you've never seen.  Places you didn't know you should visit.

I am thankful for our detour through the tulips of Holland.

No comments: