Sunday, August 22, 2010

Eisley's Dedication

There was a point in time I really doubted that this day would ever happen, I thought we would all be gathered for a funeral instead.  It brings tears to my eyes to just type that.  Wow - our journey the last few months has been amazing.  I am very grateful for the beautiful day we did have.
I didn't realize Keira was bowing her head like this until I saw the pictures - sometimes she can be so innocent and sweet.  A couple people asked what a dedication is - is it just the new name for baptism?  Our church does not practice infant baptism, but full emersion later, once the individual can make that choice for themselves.  The dedication is simply for the family to say - we are giving this child to God and want to do our best to raise them in a Godly manner. 

The kids faired pretty well during the service. They rotated amongst the rows of family, sometimes crossing lines to members they didn't know. It was so precious to watch as Amaiah slept in Great Grandpa's arms.  Tristan being the big kid sat in the back, joined by Charlie and Ab, with our adopted family - Jody and Gearry. Lexi was a bit distraught, not being able to go to class and play with Heidi, but she managed.

The sermon that day reviewed Romans 15.  Here's a few verses that touched me, especially thinking about Little E.  Vs1-2: We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. Vs 5-6: May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. 

I'm not sure what I anticipated that Pastor Mark would say, but I was just a little anxious about it. In the end, he charged the congregation with the duty of supporting our family and helping us to raise Eisley in the best way possible, as he often does.  He didn't proclaim from the stage that she has Down syndrome or anything else.  Just that everyone should see her as part of their mission for Christ - to accept her, to teach her in Sunday school, to love her - perfect!

As the service concluded and I looked out on the rows of family who came to share with us and support us, I was a bit awed.  Over 30 of our family, none of whom live in Omaha, came to the service.  Many said they wished they lived closer so they could come back - yes, we love our StoneBridge family too!  After church we headed home to fellowship and chow.  It was a busy house, but we all fit, although I felt like I didn't get to talk to anyone very much.

Uncle Mike, getting in his baby time.

Inspired by the graduation parties, we put together a slide show of Miss E's first months.

Yummy lunch of pulled pork and fixin's.

"Klimblerly"

Carl - he'll be ready for baby holding come January!

Our future softball team, only need a couple more!
The afternoon wrapped up with birthday presents for the soon to be 3 year old Abby and snow cones.  The Sieck's had to hit the road early - since that silly thing called school has now invaded their schedule. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great Scripture for that particular Sunday. Sounded perfect. And again, more great pictures. Jen had already shared some of Carl holding Little E... Loved them! I can't wait until he's a daddy, too. :)